Pages

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Elizabethan Lemon Cakes

As you know, I have a potluck with my high school friends almost every month. This month, I decided to do something different. I am a huge Game of Thrones fan and had recently bought the official cookbook on Amazon. I decided that I wanted our winter potluck to be Game of Thrones themed, with everyone making a dish from the cookbook. It just so happened that our potluck took place last night, on the first night of winter. Winter is Coming? WINTER HAS COME!

Sansa has really grown as a character this past season, so I decided I wanted to make her favourite Lemon Cakes. The cookbook provided two recipes for the lemon cakes: one Elizabethan, and one Modern. I decided to do the Elizabethan one since that would be more similar to the one that Sansa loves (as if she's a real live person :P). They were quite simple to make and a great hit at the potluck.

Elizabethan Lemon Cakes 1

Elizabethan Lemon Cakes from The Official Game of Thrones Companion Cookbook
Makes 36 small cakes (I ended up with 30; they are more like moist cookies than cakes)

2 1/2 cups flour, plus more as needed
2 cups granulated sugar
6 Tbsp unsalted butter (3/4 stick)
Grated zest from 2 lemons
1 egg
2 egg yolks
1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tsp milk


1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a large baking sheet (I ended up using three).

2. In a large bowl, combine the flour and granulated sugar. Cut in the butter, then add the zest and the whole egg and yolks. Mix thoroughly, adding more flour as needed, until the dough is no longer sticky and can be easily shaped by hand. If the mixture seems too dry, add a little water or lemon juice until the dough comes together. (I ended up needing the juice from about 1 1/2 lemons in order to get my dough to stay together when I rolled them into balls.)

3. Roll the dough into balls about 1 inch across and place them on the prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart, giving them room to spread as they bake.

4. Bake for 15 minutes, until the tops are just slightly golden. Allow the cakes to cool for a minute before moving them to a cooling rack.

5. Mix the confectioners' sugar and milk to a smooth consistency. Once the cakes have cooled, use a spoon to drizzle the icing over the cookies. (I ended up using 2x the amount listed in order to have enough of the glaze.)

Elizabethan Lemon Cakes 2

No comments: